Monday, 5 November 2012

21 Ways to get involved with the A21 Campaign (10/21): show your stuff!


I was inspired by a speaker at Soul Survivor 2012 (http://www.soulsurvivor.com/uk/ss2012/). A woman named Julia spoke about how she rowed the Atlantic with a small team of women to raise funding and awareness for the A21 Campaign. I was so touched and inspired by her story and the horrific statistics about human trafficking and modern day slavery that I knew I could not turn my back on it and walk away. I knew my life and my purpose had changed in that moment and now I am endeavouring to live it out in any way that I possibly can.

The first thing that I started doing was to tell people about human trafficking and the horrifying statistics like:

•      Human trafficking is the second largest global organized crime today, generating approximately 31.6 billion USD each year. Specifically, trafficking for sexual exploitation generates 27.8 billion USD per year.
•      There are 1.39 million victims of commercial sexual servitude worldwide.
•      90% of victims trafficked into the European Union member states will end up in the sex industry.
•      Tragically, only 1-2 percent of victims are rescued, and only 1 in 100,000 Europeans involved in trafficking are convicted.

The second thing I started to do was to start this blog, where I could openly share my views and the causes that are near to my heart. Today’s challenge is to basically do this: share what you know by doing something that you enjoy/are good at.

You can write a blog about why we should fight human trafficking; paint a picture and display it publicly; use a sports event to raise awareness and funds; write a song or talk about human trafficking at a concert; create a short film and post it on www.youtube.com. Use what you do best to make a difference!

Blessings!

Ronell x

“We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully” {Romans 12:6-8}



No comments:

Post a Comment