Sunday 3 February 2013

Some Home Truths


So the last week has been exciting, busy and eye opening for me. With some great stuff and some, well let’s just say not so great stuff! But all and all, I got some home truths from God and those around me about love, particularly loving others, and this hit me hard!

It was particularly difficult for me to hear how people (yes, unfortunately there was more than one) had felt mistreated by my short temper and harsh words this week and the guilt piled on! I could hardly recognise myself, but it was obviously coming from somewhere! (Matthew 12v34)

God spoke to me and also confirmed it through my best friend: how can I profess to be a Christian, a representative of THE God of LOVE, when I myself could not even love others?? After all, it is the second most important commandment after loving God! (Mark 12v30-31)

Then it hit me how hypocritical it was for me to be campaigning for the rights of people I don’t know, and my heart breaking for the suffering of those I don’t know, but I don’t even stop to consider the feelings and needs of those people who are right in front of me… ouch!

So my challenge to you (and first and foremost to myself!!) is to truly love those who are right in front of you. You know that person who annoys you beyond belief..? Or that selfish friend/sibling/parent that you feel used and frustrated by..? Or that lonely person you see on the bus every day..? Or what about the boy/girl who is a little different who you see sitting/eating alone every single day..? God sent His only Son to die for that person.. THAT is how much He loves them! (John 3v16) 

God asks us to show His character and the fruits of His Spirit and one of those is love. (Galatians 5v22-23) And before we can go out into the third world or help those far away that are in crisis, we must start at home, by actively loving those around us, even when it is uncomfortable for us.

So the question is this: Do you LOVE those people like God loves them? Do you actively SHOW love to those people even when it costs you something?

Don’t be condemned or discourage though! Like my very wise friend said to me: “it is not over.. you have time!” and God will guide you!

Blessings!

Ronell x

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser… I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” {John 15v1,5}





No comments:

Post a Comment