Sunday 7 April 2013

Generosity


I read this post from HTB / Nicky Gumble’s Bible In One Year program and thought I would share. It talks about why we are called to be generous. If you are reading this and you think that you have no extra money to give to others because of your own financial need, that may well be the case, but it also may not. You never know what/how much people need and what seems insignificant to you might mean the whole world to them! There are also other ways of giving generously like giving away possessions or giving of your own time (possibly the most important form of generosity).

I hope this challenges you and provokes you to thinking about how you can show generosity to others.

Blessings!

Ronell x


Mother Teresa once gave an interview to Hello! magazine.  She was asked the question, ‘Is it only the affluent who give?’
She replied, ‘No, even the poorest of the poor give.  The other day a very poor beggar came up to me and said, “Everyone gives to you and I also want to give you twenty paisa” – which is about two pence.  I thought to myself, what do I do?  If I take it he won’t have anything to eat, but if I don’t take it I would hurt him so much.  So I took, and he was so happy because he had given to Mother Teresa of Calcutta to help the poor.  Giving cleans the heart and helps you get closer to God.  You get so much back in return.’
Generosity is not just a nice character trait that people have.  It is right at the heart of what our faith is all about.  C.S. Lewis defined Christianity as ‘a kind of giving’.  God has poured out his generosity to us in Jesus (John 3:16), and we are called to respond in faith and generosity to others.  Each of the passages today is about blessings and curses.  The key to blessing is generosity. 
1.  Always be generous (read more)
2.  Be generous to everyone (read more)
3.  Be generous – like God (read more)

To read the detailed post, which expands on the three points above, go to http://acs.alpha.org/bioy/commentary/460 .




No comments:

Post a Comment