Sunday 28 July 2013

Help the Elderly {Mandela Day} 6 / 67 ways to change the world

As promised on Mandela Day 2013 (19.07.13), this is the my series on their 67 suggested ways of changing the world. This one also comes under the category of 'Think of others':


6. Offer to take an elderly neighbour who can’t drive to do their shopping/ chores.

I am originally from South Africa, so all of my extended family, including my 3 remaining grandparents, are still over there and really don't get to see them very often at all. Every time I see an old person struggling to carry food shopping, hobbling down the street alone or trying to figure out something they have not encountered before, I think of my own grandparents and wonder whether someone would stop to help them if they were in the same situation. I think the sad truth is probably 'no'. 
I am completely guilty of this myself, but we are often so busy doing our own thing and rushing from one place to the next and not often (or ever) stopping to help someone with a practical day to day need. There is a simple solution (I am totally speaking to myself here)! Don't over crowd your schedule and rush so much that you are unaware of anyone around you and unable to stop to help even if you were! This is something I am certainly having to work on at the moment. 
So stop to help the elderly! After years of being 'useful', people often view them as a nuisance or 'pointless' and this is completely wrong! Even if you just stop to chat to them, it may be the only kindness they receive all day (or longer) and it may really make a difference to their day. 
So go on- show some compassion, love and respect and meet an elderly relative, neighbour, friend or stranger's need today!
Blessings!
Ronell x
{photo credit: http://probateaz.net/}

No comments:

Post a Comment